Thursday 15 January 2015

The Bees by Laline Paull


Inexplicably, The Bees is a book I'd normally have never picked up. Just goes to show that one can be blinded by one's own literary rut, and looks can be deceiving. I should really know better, because The Miniaturist by Jesse Burton, which not just has been a Book of the Month for us, but is also in our first 2015 Bookclub AND our Book of the Year (and Specsavers', I might add!) was a completely unexpected surprise for me, and now I'm raving like a lunatic (a happy, safe one!) about it. But one digresses. Bees. We're here for the Bees.
 
 
Anyways, I started reading The Bees, and it made my jaw drop.
It's basically Watership Down meets Divergent meets The Handmaid's Tale meets 1984. With bees. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT FROM A BOOK??
 
Beautifully descriptive, it sucks you right into the bee life, like a strange Kafkaesque Honey-I-shrunk-the-kids-and-turned-them-into-bees experience - it does what a book should do, create a film in your head that involves your every sense.
Obviously I won't give anything away, but if this doesn't entice you, read what author Laline Paull writes about the inspiration of the book. I promise you if you're not hooked and intrigued then, then it's possibly because you have a bee-phobia.
 
In which case, I apologise.
 
 
Wholeheartedly from the hive-mind,
 
Patty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment